Peter Hubbard is a gifted teacher, and he wisely navigates what are uncharted waters for many Christians: How should churches relate to others with same-sex attractions?
Peter Hubbard. Love into Light: The Gospel, the Homosexual, and the Church. Greenville, SC: Ambassador International, 2013. 175 pp.
I’ve been encouraging Peter to publish this book, and I’m grateful he did. He is writing his DMin thesis on homosexuality under Ed Welch at Westminster Theological Seminary, and he has been giving this issue a lot thought for several years, including a sermon series in 2011 (see especially the final sermon). Peter has served as the lead pastor of North Hills Community Church since 1992.
A helpful website supplements the book. Some highlights:
- Peter Hubbard, “Same-Sex Marriage: How Should Christians Respond?“
- Peter Hubbard, “What Happened to Exodus International?“
- Peter Hubbard, “Lead Into Light: A Call to Pastors to Talk Faithfully and Helpfully about Same-sex Attraction“
- Video interview with Ed Welch
- John Piper, resources on homosexuality
- The Theology of Human Sexuality: 2013 EFCA Theology Conference Resources
- Spiritual Heritage Committee of the Evangelical Free Church of America, “Resource on Homosexuality and Same-Sex ‘Marriage’: A Church Statement on Human Sexuality with a specific focus on Homosexuality and Same-Sex ‘Marriage’” (11-page PDF)
- Robert A. J. Gagnon, The Bible and Homosexual Practice: Texts and Hermeneutics (Nashville: Abingdon, 2001).
- Thomas R. Schreiner, “A New Testament Perspective on Homosexuality,” Themelios 31, no. 3 (2006): 62–75.
- Wayne Grudem, ”Marriage,” in Politics—According to the Bible: A Comprehensive Resource for Understanding Modern Political Issues in Light of Scripture (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2010), 213–44.
- Denny Burk, “Gender Confusion and a Gospel-Shaped Counterculture,” in Don’t Call It a Comeback: The Same Faith for a New Day (ed. Kevin DeYoung; Wheaton: Crossway, 2011), 191–200.
- D. A. Carson, The Intolerance of Tolerance (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2012). When I indexed this book, here’s what I tagged under “homosexuality”:
- and adoption of children, 38, 145
- depicted as a civil-rights issue, 39
- discrimination against those who believe it to be wrong, 21-22, 30-31, 36-40, 83-84, 107, 130-31, 134-38, 144, 145
- and fostering of children, 136n.16
- popular discourse saying people are simply “born that way,” 134
- preaching against, 39, 136n.16