“Give Them Jesus: Parenting with the Gospel; A Review of Elyse Fitzpatrick and Jessica Thompson, Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus.” Journal for Biblical Manhood and Womanhood 17:1 (2012): 52–56.
It has six parts:
- Give Them Grace? We explain the book’s title.
- Tracing the Argument. We summarize each of the book’s ten chapters in one sentence.
- Weaknesses. We highlight just two relatively minor issues.
- Yes, Grace, but . . . . I check if the book passes what I call “the God-forbid test.”
- A Mom’s Perspective. Jenni humbly shares her perspective. (I love my wife!)
- Conclusion. We compare the book to three other popular Christian parenting books.
A book on parenting is an excellent place to teach theology and demonstrate how important and practical it is. Fitzpatrick and Thompson keep the main thing the main thing by explaining the gospel to parents and insightfully showing how it applies to shepherding children.
Update: The above link to the PDF is adding characters after the “.pdf” for some reason. This is the link: http://andynaselli.com/wp-content/uploads/2012_review_Fitzpatrick.pdf