The subject of God’s will and decision-making has fascinated me since I was in high school, so I’ve been compiling resources on it. (See the recommended reading at the bottom of the post.) I came close to writing a dissertation on it.
I recently read this excellent debate-book on the issue:
Douglas S. Huffman, ed. How Then Should We Choose? Three Views on God’s Will and Decision Making. Grand Rapids: Kregel, 2009. 269 pp.
I think that Friesen’s view is the best of the three.
Huffman’s introduction, conclusion, and categorized bibliography are insightful. He diagrams the three views, and concludes (pp. 243–44),
It seems to me that the balance to strive for is that of the position in the center of the triangle, represented by Z on the diagram.
- DeYoung, Kevin. Just Do Something: A Liberating Approach to Finding God’s Will: or, How to Make a Decision Without Dreams, Visions, Fleeces, Open Doors, Random Bible Verses, Casting Lots, Liver Shivers, Writing in the Sky, etc. Chicago: Moody, 2009.
- Feinberg, John S., and Paul D. Feinberg. “Moral Decision Making and the Christian.” Pages 21–61 in Ethics for a Brave New World. 2nd ed. Wheaton: Crossway, 2010.
- Friesen, Garry. Decision Making and the Will of God: A Biblical Alternative to the Traditional View. 2nd ed. Colorado Springs, CO: Multnomah, 2004.
- Grudem, Wayne. “Letter to a Prospective Seminarian.” Christianity Today (August 25, 1972): 18–19.
- Jensen, Phillip D., and Tony Payne. Guidance and the Voice of God. Sydney: Matthias Media, 1997.
- MacArthur, John. Found: God’s Will. 2nd ed. Wheaton: Victor, 1977.
Meadors, Gary T. Decision Making God’s Way: A New Model for Knowing God’s Will. Grand Rapids: Baker, 2003.
- Petty, James C. Guidance: Have I Missed God’s Best? Resources for Changing Lives. Phillipsburg, NJ: Presbyterian & Reformed, 2003. (27-page CCEF booklet)
- ———. Step by Step: Divine Guidance for Ordinary Christians. Phillipsburg, NJ: Presbyterian & Reformed, 1999.
- Pratt, Jonathan. “Anatomy of a Decision: Finding God’s Will.” Pages 123–27 in Heart, Soul, Might: Meditations on Knowing and Loving God. Edited by Kevin T. Bauder. Minneapolis: Central Seminary Press, 2012.
- Swanson, Andrew. Whom Shall I Marry? Carlisle, PA: Banner of Truth, 1995.
- Swavely, David. Decisions, Decisions: How (and How Not) to Make Them. Phillipsburg, NJ: Presbyterian & Reformed, 2003.
- Waltke, Bruce K. Finding the Will of God: A Pagan Notion? Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1995.