John S. Hammett and Benjamin L. Merkle, eds. Those Who Must Give an Account: A Study of Church Membership and Church Discipline. Nashville: Broadman & Holman, 2012. 239 pp.
Here’s what Darrin Patrick says about it:
Trying to get modern-day people to understand the importance of church membership and the need for church discipline is one of the most difficult things I do as a pastor. We live in a culture that is sick with an autonomous, individualistic spirit that shuns accountability and commitment. Biblical church membership and discipline are the cure for this dreaded illness. Those Who Must Give an Account is a timely book for a timeless challenge.
Here’s their “Select Bibliography on Church Membership and Discipline” (pp. 223–24, numbering added):
While most books on ecclesiology discuss church membership and discipline to some degree, the books below contain the most complete and helpful treatments of these issues (of course, except for the present book).
- Anyabwile, Thabiti M. What Is a Healthy Church Member? Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2008.
- Bargerhuff, Eric J. Love that Rescues: God’s Fatherly Love in the Practice of Church Discipline. Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock Publishers, 2010.
- Chester, Tim, and Steve Timmis. Total Church: A Radical Reshaping Around Gospel and Community. Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2008.
- Dever, Mark, and Paul Alexander. The Deliberate Church: Building Your Ministry on the Gospel. Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2005.
- Dever, Mark E. Nine Marks of a Healthy Church. Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2004.
- Dever, Mark E., ed. Polity: Biblical Arguments on How to Conduct Church Life. Washington, DC: Center for Church Reform, 2001.
- Deweese, Charles W. A Community of Believers: Making Church Membership More Meaningful. Valley Forge, PA: Judson Press, 1978.
- DeYoung, Kevin, and Ted Kluck. Why We Love the Church: In Praise of Institutions and Organized Religion. Chicago: Moody, 2009.
- Driscoll, Mark, and Gerry Breshears. Vintage Church: Timeless Truths and Timely Methods. Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2008.
- Garrett, James Leo, Jr. Baptist Church Discipline. Nashville: Broadman, 1962.
- Hammett, John S. Biblical Foundations for Baptist Churches: A Contemporary Ecclesiology. Grand Rapids: Kregel, 2005.
- Harper, Brad, and Paul Louis Metzger. Exploring Ecclesiology: An Evangelical and Ecumenical Introduction. Grand Rapids: Brazos, 2009.
- Harris, Josh. Stop Dating the Church! Fall in Love with the Family of God. Eugene, OR: Multnomah, 2004.
- Hellerman, Joseph. When the Church Was a Family. Nashville: B&H Academic, 2009.
- Leeman, Jonathan. The Church and the Surprising Offense of God’s Love: Reintroducing the Doctrines of Church Membership and Discipline. Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2010.
- Mack, Wayne A., and David Swavely. Life in the Father’s House: A Members Guide to the Local Church, rev. and exp. Phillipsburg, NJ: P&R, 2006.
- Richardson, Wyman Lewis. Walking Together: A Congregational Reflection on Biblical Church Discipline. Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock, 2007.
- Shelley, Bruce L., and Marshall Shelley. Consumer Church: Can Evangelicals Win the World Without Losing Their Souls? Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity, 1992.
- White, Thomas, Jason G. Duesing, and Malcom B. Yarnell III, eds. Restoring Integrity in Baptist Churches. Grand Rapids: Kregel, 2008.
- Wills, Gregory A. Democratic Religion: Freedom, Authority, and Church Discipline in the Baptist South, 1785–1900. New York; Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 1997.