The stakeholders of The Gospel Coalition are not on the same page with respect to all the details, but all of us insist
- that God alone is self-existing,
- that he is the creator of all,
- that he made everything good,
- that Adam and Eve were historical figures from whom the rest of the human race has sprung, and
- that the fundamental problem we face was introduced by human idolatry and rebellion and the curse they attracted.
The reasons for holding such matters to be nonnegotiable are bound up with many passages of Scripture, not just the opening chapters of Genesis. For example, Paul tells us that God “made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth” (Acts 17:26).
You can hear Andy Davis preach on Genesis 1–3 in his series on Genesis.