Though I am Don Carson’s elder (by eleven months), and count him a personal friend, I revere him both spiritually and academically. The level at which Don works in the academic guild is beyond my ability and bent. I stand outside and below, looking up with profound admiration and respect. Make no mistake, my admiration is not awakened by fame and notoriety. It rises for real excellence and faithfulness and usefulness. Don has taken the bricks and mortar of his academic trade and built structures where God’s people have found safety and nourishment and joy and power. [Read more…] about John Piper’s Tribute to Don Carson
John Piper. The Collected Works of John Piper. Edited by David Mathis and Justin Taylor. 13 vols. + one volume of indexes. Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2017. 8,464 pages. Available from Amazon and Westminster Bookstore .
Both Justin Taylor and David Mathis have spent years serving as John Piper’s assistant, and they know Piper and his publications unusually well. Justin wrote his fascinating PhD dissertation on Piper, and David is the executive editor for Desiring God.
The editors explain in the introduction to volume 1, [Read more…] about The Collected Works of John Piper
I just caught up listening to all the Ask Pastor John episodes (900+ now). John Piper and the host, Tony Reinke, serve us well. I benefit especially from the well-reasoned rubber-meets-the-road practical theology.
Here’s a sampling of 13 episodes that stand out:
- Choosing a Seminary (Episode 89) [Cf. What, how, and why we teach.]
- On Ghostwriters (Episode 129)
- Bible Memory as Ministry to Others (Episode 131) [Cf. Why and How to Memorize an Entire Book of the Bible.]
- Should Christians Use the Pill? (Episode 230) [Cf. Should Christians Use Contraceptives?]
- Tattoos in Biblical Perspective (240)
- Six Reasons to Skip Tattoos (241) [Cf. “Should you get a tattoo,” in Conscience, pp. 73–75.]
- Ghostwriting and Research Assistants (Episode 245)
- Pornography and Resisting the Power of Temptation (Episode 291) [Cf. The Best Book on Sexual Purity.]
- Should Christians Watch ‘Game of Thrones’? (Episode 368) [Cf. Piper’s article.]
- How John Piper Writes Books (Episode 582) [Cf. “Window into Piper’s Writing,” a 6-minute DG video with shots of Piper’s home and study—embedded below.]
- How Do You Use Your iPhone and iPad in Christian Growth? (Episode 828)
- Ten Principles for Personal Productivity (Episode 839) [Cf. posts I’ve tagged as “work.”]
- A Short History of Bible Clutter (Episode 888; Paauw—not Piper) [Cf. Re 3 Unusual Tips for Better Bible Reading.]
John Piper. The Supremacy of God in Preaching. 3rd ed. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2015.
One of the most motivating lines:
People are starving for the grandeur of God. And the vast majority do not know it. (p. 147)
Here’s an appetizer:
For more, check out the topics under “God” and “Jesus Christ” in the Desiring God Topic Index.
After I heard Al Mohler interview Grant Wacker about his new book, I added it to my reading queue:
Grant Wacker. America’s Pastor: Billy Graham and the Shaping of a Nation. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 2014.
I’m glad I read it. [Read more…] about America’s Pastor: Billy Graham and the Shaping of a Nation
It releases in November. Doug Wilson blogged about it two days ago.
Here’s a 3-minute preview:
In this picture from September 1, 2015, John Piper has his arm around Tom Steller. They are in a staff meeting for Bethlehem Baptist Church, and John Piper is praising God for Tom Steller’s serving Bethlehem for 35 years. Here’s a transcript of what Piper said:
I taught Bible at Bethel for six years, 1974–1980. Tom took six of my courses, four in Greek and two exegesis courses. (I know that because it’s in my journal.) And at the end of those six courses the die was cast for a lifetime of partnership in Christian Hedonism, and the Piper-Steller fabric began to be woven. We have loved and praised and served the same glorious God on the same basis of glorious Scripture for 40 years together. [Read more…] about John Piper’s Tribute to Tom Steller