The latest issue of Southern Seminary’s The Journal of Discipleship and Family Ministry just released.
My contribution, “Training Children for Their Good,” addresses parental discipline. This is a lightly edited manuscript from a sermon I preached on June 3, 2012.
Here’s the outline:
1. Seven Propositions about Discipline from Hebrews 12:4–11
- God disciplines his children (Heb 12:5–7, 10).
- God disciplines all his children (Heb 12:6, 8).
- God disciplines only his children (Heb 12:6–8).
- Discipline is training: God disciplines his children for their good (Heb 12:10–11).
- Discipline seems unpleasant and painful (Heb 12:11).
- God’s children should endure God’s discipline (Heb 12:5, 7, 9).
- God’s disciplining his children compares to human parents’ disciplining their children (Heb 12:5, 7–10).
2. Levels of Discipline in the Book of Proverbs [Read more…] about How Should Parents Discipline Their Children? Is Spanking Wrong?