The fifth CCI esssay is now available: Harold A. Netland, “One Lord and Savior for All? Jesus Christ and Religious Diversity.” Netland, who studied under John Hick, authored Encountering Religious Pluralism: The Challenge to Christian Faith and Mission (Downers Grove: IVP, 2001).
Here’s an outline of his 37-page essay:
1. Religious Diversity and Christian Faith
- Traditional Christianity: Religious Exclusivism
- Religious Inclusivism
- Religious Pluralism
2. Religious Pluralism: Clarifying the Issues
- Religious Diversity Exists
- Religious Diversity Should Be Legally Accepted
- Religious Diversity Should Be Socially Accepted
- All Major Religions Are Equally True and Legitimate
3. John Hick’s Model of Religious Pluralism
4. Religions and Religious Beliefs
- What Is the Nature of the Religious Ultimate?
- What Is the Nature of the Human Predicament?
- What Is the Nature of and the Conditions for Attaining Salvation/Liberation/Enlightenment?
5. The Problem of Conflicting Truth Claims
6. Religious Exclusivism
7. Problems with Religious Pluralism
- Some Truth Claims Cannot Both Be True
- Ineffability Is Incoherent
8. Does God Exist?
9. Who Is Jesus?
- The Relation Between Jesus and History in Christianity Is Different from the Relation Between History and Other Religious Leaders
- Jesus, Unlike Some Religious Leaders, Was a Monotheist
- Jesus Identifies the Root Problem Confronting Humankind As Sin; Others, Such as Gautama, Locate the Problem with Ignorance
- The New Testament Presents Jesus Christ as God Incarnate, Fully Man and Fully God
- Jesus Does Not Merely Teach the Way to Reconciliation with God—He Claims That He Himself Is the Way to Salvation
10. An Evangelical Theology of Religions
- Creation and General Revelation
- Demonic Influence
11. Salvation: What About Those Who Never Hear About Jesus?
12. Living Among Religious Others
- The Great Commission: Make Disciples
- The Great Commandment: Love God and Your Neighbor
Related: See Justin Taylor’s post “ESV Study Bible: The Bible and World Religions, and An Interview with Harold Netland.” It links to a couple of helpful resources:
- “The Bible and World Religions” from the ESV Study Bible (includes an article by Netland on world religions)
- Owen Strachan’s interview with Harold Netland on religious pluralism