Colin S. Smith, The Plan (The Gospel Coalition Booklets; Wheaton: Crossway, 2011), pp. 15, 21–22, 29:
The Old Testament is the story of God’s amazing promises. Step back and try to take it in:
- God promises to give life to people who will reflect his glory.
- God promises to destroy evil and rid the world of its curse.
- God promises to bless people from all nations.
- God promises to reconcile sinners to himself through a sacrifice for sins.
- God promises that his people will live under the blessing of his rule forever.
- God promises that all his people will walk in all his ways.
- God promises to bring new life from the grave. . . .
Here is the breathtaking sweep of what God promises us in Jesus Christ. Jesus came and lived and died and rose again so that:
- We might become a new creation fully reflecting the image of God.
- We might be delivered from the curse of evil.
- We might enjoy the blessing of God together with a vast company of redeemed people from all nations.
- We might be reconciled to God through Christ, who offered himself as the sacrifice for our sins.
- We might live under the blessing of God’s rule forever.
- We might walk in God’s ways, loving him with all our heart and our neighbor as ourselves.
- We might receive new life from the grave. . . .
God works through the debilitating trials of your life to form a unique reflection of Christ in you that will endure for his glory and to your joy forever. On that day, all that God promises will be ours:
- We will fully reflect the image and likeness of God.
- We will be delivered from the curse of evil.
- We will share the joy of eternal life with redeemed people from all nations.
- We will enter the presence of God redeemed by the blood of Jesus.
- We will live this life under the blessing of Christ’s rule in his kingdom forever.
- We will love God with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength, and we will love our neighbor as ourselves.
- We will rejoice forever in this new life from the grave that is ours through Jesus Christ our Lord.